Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Environment: Household Cleaners

As Christians we should be good stewards of the resources that God has given us. That includes our environment. We benefit from taking care of the earth and now, with all the "green" products, it's even easier. I've been looking for an environmentally friendly household cleaner and here are some that I have tried:

Mrs. Myers Cleaners

These cleaners come in some great scents. They are marketed as aromatherapy cleaners and they smell really good. (Unless you keep them for 3 years and then they will make your counter tops smell like moldy feet.) When they are fresh they seemed to work great and I like them. They can get a little pricey, but they are sold in a concentrated formula so long-term they aren't too bad. I would purchase again.

Clorox GreenWorks


Hands down the WORST cleaner I have ever used. It left a film on every surfaces and it took a million wipes to get the cleaners up. Would not purchase this cleaner or any other product in their line ever again.

Seventh Generation


I'll admit that I haven't used their surface cleaner but I have used their dish soap and think it's great. They claim that their whole manufacturing process is sustainable and eco-friendly. Seems to be a good option.

Water & Vinegar
This has to be my top choice for household cleaner. It's safe, anti-bacterial and very cheap. I bought a spray bottle and mixed equal parts vinegar and water. I don't have to worry about it getting on my toothbrush or my hands. The only downside is that it's doesn't smell that great, but I can fix that by lighting a candle. Most times the most eco-friendly solution is the most simple one.

1 comment:

  1. Soap nuts, anyone? I know, people who use them really are nuts. ;-)

    Really, the most eco-friendly way to clean is not to clean at all. Let your counters become their own eco-systems. This, my friend, is sustainability.

    ReplyDelete